Name the Vernal Pond at the Spring Down Open Space Preserve
Help us name the vernal pond at the Spring Down Open Space Preserve.
The Spring Down Preserve, which is located just south of the Town Center, is on its way to being transformed into an open space area. Fulfilling the vision of the Town Council, Open Space Committee, Conservation Committee, and Ad-Hoc Spring Down Master Plan Committee to enhance the rural character of Portola Valley for residents to enjoy.
The newly restored six-acre Spring Down Open Space Preserve will be formally unveiled in mid-spring, once the native vegetation and wildflowers have fully developed. The Spring Down Preserve also includes a vernal pond that will be unveiled.
The Town is kicking-off a contest and inviting Portola Valley residents to suggest names for the vernal pond. The contest rules are:
- The contest is open to Portola Valley residents.
- The contest begins today, April 2nd, and will conclude on Monday, April 30th, at 5 pm.
- The vernal pond’s name must be two words or less: ___ ___ Pond (the pond cannot be named after a person)
- The name should tie into the local environment or geographic area.
- A committee comprised of select town volunteers and Town staff will compile and review all the suggested names in early May. The names will be narrowed down and a short list of potential names will be forwarded to the Town Council.
- The Town Council will select the name for the vernal pond at the regularly scheduled Town Council meeting on May 23, 2018.
The Conservation Committee will be conducting guided tours of the Spring Down Preserve during the Portola Valley/Woodside Earth Fair on Saturday, April 28th.
Residents’ can submit suggested names for the vernal pond to: TownCenter@portolavalley.net by April 30th.
We look forward to the entries.