Town Sustainability Committee Seeks New Member
The Town of Portola Valley
Seeks a New Member to
Join Its Sustainability Committee
Deadline to Submit Application: April 11, 2013 at 5:00 p.m.
The Portola Valley Sustainability Committee helps town residents save energy and reduce their utility bills. We are looking for one new member to join our committee. We are looking for someone who is:
- Passionate about helping Portola Valley residents pursue sustainable lifestyles
- Available to meet once a month during office hours (between 9:00 am and 6 pm)
- Able to contribute fresh ideas for town energy- and water-saving initiatives
It is useful if you have one or more of the following experiences:
- A professional background in smart meters, power utilities
- Building or construction – either as a contractor or because you have had work done in your home
- Sustainable living, for example, growing a native plant garden or tending bees
- Volunteer work in an organization that helps people save energy, such as Acterra
- Public relations, marketing, funnel management or project management skills
- Experience in organizing lecture series and/or community events
This committee assists the Town in meeting the adopted greenhouse gas emissions reduction targets and the goals and objectives outlined in the Sustainability Element of the General Plan. The primary mission is to encourage residents to reduce their energy and water use. In the future, the committee may look at other areas ripe for emissions reductions (e.g. waste, commercial energy) and develop programs to address those areas.
- Meets third Monday of month
- Term: one-year – reappointed in January
- Time: attend at least 75% of meetings
- Read “Fostering Sustainable Behavior” and study community-based social marketing
- Learn about current energy- and water-efficiency programs
- Commit to getting a home performance assessment
- Host at least one neighborhood/group meeting
Applications are available on-line at https://portolavalley.net/index.aspx?recordid=61&page=24 or at Town Hall. The deadline to submit an application is Thursday, April 11th at 5:00 p.m.
For questions, please contact Brandi de Garmeaux, Sustainability & Special Projects Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or 650.851.1700 ext. 222.