One Less Spark, One Less Wildfire
CAL FIRE is asking homeowners to prepare earlier in creating defensible space due to California's current drought conditions. A few helpful reminders and safety tips include:
- Equipment Use Safety
- Never mow or trim dry grass on a Red Flag Warning Day. Mow before 10am on a day when it is not hot and windy.
- Never use lawn mowers in dry vegetation.
- Spark arresters are required in wildland areas on all portable gasoline powered equipment.
- Campfire Safety
- Before starting a campfire, make sure you have a campfire permit and that they are permitted on the land you are visiting.
- Afterwards, ensure that your campfire is properly extinguished.
- Vehicle Safety
- Never pull over in dry grass.
- Ensure trailer chains do not drag on the ground
- Make sure that your vehicle is properly maintained.
- Have proper tire pressure to avoid driving on wheel rim.
- Never let your brake pads wear too thin.
- Other Safety Tips
- Make sure cigarette butts are properly extinguished.
- Never burn landscape debris (leaves or branches) on NO BURN days when it is windy or in areas where burning is not allowed.
- Target shoot only in approved areas, use lead ammunition only, and never shoot at metal targets.
- Report any suspicious activity to prevent arson.
2014 Wood Chipping dates are now available, please review the news article, "Chipper Program Dates for 2014."