Join us on Saturday, April 28th from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. for Portola Valley’s annual Earth Day Fair!
FREE fun for all at the Town Center! Activities include:
Special Workshops in the Community Hall - Buckeye Room
Creating Fun Family Friendly Outdoor Spaces – 10:30 am
In this hands-on workshop with local biologist and environmental educator, Brook Coffee, you will learn how to create family friendly outdoor spaces in your own yard – including organic vegetable gardening, designing bird, bee and butterfly habitats, and creating fun play spaces that foster better physical and mental health, creativity, connection and appreciation for the natural world. Bring pictures or a sketch of your yard and leave with a plan to create your own oasis!
Fun & Functional Electric Bicycles – 12:30 pm
In this fun presentation, hear tales of local cyclist – Oliver Bock’s – cross-country bicycle ride in 2010. Then get an introduction to a few electric bicycle options with examples to test drive!
Tunes by Jazz Trio Charged Particles - Noon to 2 pm
Portola Valley's own contemporary jazz fusion group, Charged Particles, featuring Portola Valley resident Jon Krosnick, will be appearing from Noon to 2 pm. Featuring three of the country's virtuosos in the electric jazz arena, the trio's repertoire blends jazz styles with elements from Latin music, classical music, funk and more. The group has released two CDs internationally, toured across the U.S. and abroad, and appeared as headliners at numerous jazz and arts festivals. Said JazzTimes magazine of them, "An electrifying, push-the-limits performance style... A tight and enormously talented trio."
• On-Site Document Shredding – opportunity to have your confidential documents destroyed on-site, while you wait ($10 suggested donation per box)
• Compost Giveaway – get a free bag of compost (two per family while supplies last)
• Meet the new Bicycle, Pedestrian & Traffic Safety Committee - get a helmet fitting and chat with former pro-cyclists/Olympians, Christine Thorburn and Ted Huang. Meet local peloton riders and share your ideas to help the Committee form its mission!
• Up with Upcycling Art Contest – winners will be announced and all the entries will be on display at the fair
• Make-It-And-Take-It Earth Day Bag – visit Portola Valley Library's booth for a free Make-It-and-Take-It Earth Day Bag! Repurpose an old favorite tee shirt into a snazzy bag that can hold books, groceries and more! All supplies will be provided and no previous sewing skill is necessary. Perfect project for "green" teens and adults!
• Craft a Treasure Out of Trash - bring in your old cookie tins, Altoids boxes, or cigar boxes and decorate your own 'Treasure box.' Bring in that special rock or shell, the earring that lost its mate, toy soldiers, even ticket stubs from that special concert or play and use them to decorate your box. 10:00 - 11:30 am: Treasure Boxes & Paper Crafting 12:00 - 1:30 pm: Earrings, Wristbands & Key Chains
• Electric Vehicle & Bicycle Showcase – see the future right before your eyes in these electric vehicles and bicycles
• Acterra - learn about their many programs and test a CFL vs an Incandescent vs a LED
• GreenWaste Recovery (the Town’s recycling/waste disposal service) – get answers to your recycling questions
• CalWater Services – order a water conservation kit and get tips on saving water
• Nike Reuse-a-Shoe Tennis Shoe Collection – bring your worn-out athletic shoes (any brand) and Nike will grind them up and use them to make athletic surfaces, such as playgrounds and tracks.
• Sock Collection – finally, something to do with those long lost socks missing their mate! Donate your socks and we will send them to UC Berkeley researchers to hold bait for field studies on the Pacific Fisher, a rare mammal closely related to weasels
• Earth Friendly Businesses – home energy assessment/retrofit, solar, earth and people friendly cosmetics, community supported agricultural farms and more!
• Lots of activities for kids & kids at heart!
And much more!
For more information, please contact Brandi de Garmeaux, Sustainability and Resource Efficiency Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 650.851.1700 ext. 222. We hope to see you at the fair!