In addition to its organic design aesthetic that emphasizes blending into the surrounding landscape, Portola Valley's Town Center was also designed and built with sustainability and environmental sensibilities. It has been the recipient of numerous design awards, and the subject of many articles relating to sustainability and green building (see below).
In August 2008, Councilmember Ted Driscoll compiled a Town Center Green List to summarize the highlights of the Town's sustainable design and building approach.
If you would like to schedule a tour of Town Center, please contact Brandi de Garmeaux at (650) 851-1700 ext. 222.
In November 2009, the Town Center received the highest recognition for achievement by the U.S. Green Building Council. It is one of only a handful of municipal projects in the nation to have won Platinum certification under the LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) standards of the USGBC.
Additional awards received are:
- Acterra Award for Sustainability, Sustainable Built Environment
- AIA California Council (AIACC) Merit Award for Architecture
- AIA California Council (AIACC) Savings by Design Honor Award
- AIA East Bay, Design Award, Citation for Architecture
- AIA San Francisco, Merit Award for Energy & Sustainability
- Environmental Design + Construction, Excellence in Design Award, Government Category, Finalist
- Structural Engineers Association of Northern California (SEAONC) Excellence in Structural Engineering Award, Sustainable Design
- Sustainable San Mateo County Green Building, Commercial Category
- Top Ten Green Projects Award, National AIA Committee on the Environment
- Woodworks, California Wood Design, Green Building
Press Coverage or Articles
- Almanac News, 1/20/10, Storm fills creek at Portola Valley Town Center
- Inhabitat, 10/20/09, Schoolhouse Rock Reaps Platinum Town Center
- USGBC - NCC, 11/25/09, Portola Valley Town Center Awarded LEED Platinum
- Almanac News, 11/24/09, High marks for Portola Valley Town Center
- SFGate, 9/13/09, Fault lines in Portola Valley
- GreenSource, 7/2009, Case Study: Portola Valley Town Center
- Acterra's Business & Environmental Awards, 6/2/09, Portola Valley Town Center
- Almanac News, 5/6/09, AIA names PV Town Center one of top 10 green projects
- Worldarchitecturenews.com, 4/16/09, Town Center gets Top Ten treatment
- Buildinggreen.com, 4/13/09, Portola Valley Town Center
- Architect Magazine, 3/2009, Portola Valley Town Center
- AIArchitect, 1/30/09, With a Relaxed Dignity, Portola Valley Town Center is Buttoned Down, but Stands Up Straight
- www.buildings.com, 1/2009, Portola Valley Town Center is a Model of Energy-Efficient, Climate-Friendly Design
- SFGate, 9/13/08, Portola Valley opens new green town center
- Architecture Week, Portola Valley Town Center
- Sustainable San Mateo County, Portola Valley Town Center
- American Institute of Architects, AIA/COTE Top Ten Projects: Portola Valley Town Center