Update on Town Housing Discussions
As you know, the Town Council adopted a Housing Strategic Plan that has guided recent conversations on housing issues. This update is intended to provide the latest information on housing-related meetings and discussions.
1. Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) Ordinance – The Town Council will hold a public hearing on the Planning Commission’s recommendations for an updated ADU ordinance on Wednesday, February 27th at 7pm.
The Town spent 2018 engaging residents on housing issues and exploring ADUs. At the February 27th meeting, the Town Council will consider a new ordinance on ADUs crafted over five months by the Planning Commission. The Agenda and Staff Report for the meeting will be available the Friday before the meeting via this link.
The proposed ordinance included consideration of:
- Allow ADUs on all parcel sizes, with some restrictions
- Increase the allowed ADU size
- Allow a separate address for ADUs
- Create a streamlined review process for certain ADU applications
If you have comments, questions or concerns related to any of these topics, please attend the February 27th meeting! If you are unable to attend, please send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.portolavalley.net/housing for more information.
2. Housing on Town-Owned Property - The “Housing on Town-Owned Property Committee” met in December and late January to further examine the potential for housing on a few town-owned sites, including locations at Town Center and adjacent to Corte Madera School (a road remnant on Alpine Road).
The Committee reviewed capacity renderings to provide an understanding of each sites’ potential. They do not represent a proposal for a project, nor do they depict what any proposal would look like. The Committee voted to begin a public engagement process to determine residents’ interest in these sites as possible housing locations; meetings should take place in late spring 2019.
If you have any questions regarding the Ad Hoc Committee’s work, please contact Town Manager Jeremy Dennis at email@example.com. If you would like updates on housing-related matters, please sign up for eNotices from the Town by selecting “Housing”.