Planning FAQs

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Welcome to our Planning FAQs. If you have a question that is not addressed here, please contact Carol Borck, Assistant Planner, at (650) 851-1700, ext 211.


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer

Expand/Contract Questions and Answers

  • How can I determine my property's zoning district?

  • When is the best time to involve Town Staff in my design process?

  • What is Architectural Site & Control Commission and what is their charge?

  • When are the ASCC meetings conducted?

  • When do I know I need to go before the ASCC?

  • How long is the ASCC review process?

  • Once I receive ASCC approval what are the next steps?

  • When do I need review by the Town Geologist for my proposed project? What are the requirements for Geology review?

  • What is a Deviation from Resolution No. 500-1974? How do I apply for Deviation and what documents are required for such review?

  • What is a Map Modification? How do I apply and what documents are required for such a review?

  • What are the different levels of Site Development Permits and who has authority for their review?

  • What is a basement? When does it count towards floor area?

  • How do you calculate allowed floor area? How do you calculate impervious surface? How much floor area am I allowed to build? What is the 85% limitation?

  • How do you measure height?

  • When do I need storey poles?

  • Do I need a permit for a fence? What are the regulations relating to fences, types, heights and locations?