Town Requirements for Selling Property in Portola Valley

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Ordinance 1970–100 established intent of the Town Council to assure that prior to entering into an agreement of sale or exchange of any residential building, the owner or his authorized representative shall obtain from the Town a report of residential building record showing the regularly authorized use, occupancy, and zoning classification of such property. It is the further intent to protect the unwary buyer of residential property against undisclosed restrictions on the use of the property.

Upon receipt of the $129.00 fee the planning staff shall review pertinent town records and deliver to the applicant a report of residential building records, which shall contain:

  • Street address and legal description of subject property;
  • Zoning classification and authorized use as set forth in the municipal code;
  • The occupancy as indicated and established by permits of record;
  • Variances, Conditional Use Permits, Exceptions, and other pertinent legislative acts of record; and
  • Any Special restrictions in use or development which may apply to the subject property.

The report shall be valid for a period not to exceed six months from date of issue.

The applicant may request that staff provide the allowed adjusted maximum floor area and adjusted impervious surface area calculations for the subject property. The charge for preparation of the allowed property numbers is $129.00.

The applicant is provided with the above subject information, as well as the Town's Design Guidelines and other pertinent handouts on planning and building issues.

Please stop by the Town Hall to complete a request for a Residential Data Report. For questions, please contact Planning Technician CheyAnne Brown at (650) 851-1700 ext. 216.