Top Ideas for Saving Water
Easy to Do & Low Cost
- Check for leaks (Cal Water video tutorial on checking for leaks)
- Amend soil with compost and mulch semi-annually
- Adjust irrigation systems to eliminate overspray and runoff
- Irrigate only from 8 pm to 8 am
- Use a broom to clean hardscape (rather than a hose)
Moderate Effort & Moderate Cost
- Replace spray irrigation with stream rotators, drip or subsurface irrigation
- Install a weather- or soil-moisture based irrigation controller
- Capture rainwater
- Reuse graywater
Large Investment & Long Term Savings
- Replace lawns with drought-tolerant, native plants. Rebates are available.
If you have older plumbing fixtures or appliances in your home, you may be able to significantly reduce your internal water consumption with new water saving fixtures and appliances. Some fixtures and appliances are eligible for rebates from Cal Water.
- Information on water saving fixtures and appliances
- Recommended low flow shower heads
- Cal Water Rebates
Do you have a pool? Do you use a cover on your pool? The use of a pool cover can dramatically reduce water loss due to evaporation. Click here for more details on pool water loss. Click here to learn about different types of pool covers.
More ideas for saving water: