To enroll in San Mateo County's Community Alert System (SMC-Alert), please click here. Participants in this free alert notification system are notified via their email and/or cell phones during urgent or emergency situations. Living near the most famous earthquake fault and in a wildfire area makes emergency preparedness a necessity for every Portola Valley resident. The Town's Emergency Preparedness Committee urges you to review the following information and take appropriate measures to ensure you and your family are ready.
Steps to ensure your family's emergency preparedness:
- Earthquake Preparation - Comprehensive information from USGS, including 7 steps to preparing for earthquakes.
- Disaster Preparedness - Information for San Francisco Bay Area residents to prepare for disasters.
- Wildland Fire Mitigation - Excellent booklet from San Mateo County of "Living with Fire."
- Wildfire Ready-Set-Go! - Cal-Fire sponsored website with simple steps you can take to dramatically increase the chance of your home surviving a wildfire.
- Take a short class from WPV-Ready, such as, the Basics of Personal and Neighborhood Emergency Preparedness and other topics for personal, family, and home readiness. Get even more prepared to help yourself, your family, and fellow residents beyond your neighborhood through WPV-CERT, the FEMA-based CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) organization within the Woodside Fire Protection District (WFPD). Classes are offered throughout the year and taught by Woodside Fire and trained residents of the fire district.
- More resources to help you prepare
If phones are not working in a disaster or 9-1-1 has no help to send, know your PV neighborhood reporting locaton!: